Research Output per year
No ancillary activities
Last update Ancillary Activities: Amsterdam (2018-01-22)
I am Professor at Vrije University Amsterdam where I hold the Chair of Social Anthropology. My focus is anthropology of infrastructures, mobility and urban public spaces and I carry out an anthropological research of the Greek Crisis since 2010.
In 2017 I was awarded an Innovative Research VIDI grant from the Dutch Scientific Research Organisation (NWO) for my project Infra-Demos. In 2016 I was part of the team of anthropologists from 4 countries who were awarded an ERASMUS+ grant for the project PEOPLE. In 2012 I was awarded an ESRC-Future Research Leaders grant for the project The City at a time of Crisis: Transformations of Public Spaces in Athens (crisis-scape.net). Meanwhile I was awarded twice the Sussex Teaching Excellence award (2010 and 2012).
My books include: The Road (2017), Critical Times in Greece (2018), Crisis-scapes (2014), Roads and Anthropology, (2014, 2012) and Revolt and Crisis in Greece (2011). Over 60 articles and book chapters of mine have been published since 2010, whilst I was also an associate and advisory editor of the International Encyclopedia of Revolution and Protest.
I have co-researched and have co-produced the documentaries Future Suspended, the Politics of Knives, and Landscapes of Emergency, see also Athens Social Meltdown. I co-organise the Amsterdam Ethnographic Film Festival and the Amsterdam Anthropology Lecture Series.
My PhD thesis was titled an Anthropology of the Road (UCL, 2009) and I hold an MA in Migration Studies from the University of Amsterdam and a BA (hns) in Social Policy & Social Anthropology from Panteion University, Athens. I am Seeger Fellow at Princeton University (2017-2018) and Honorary Lecturer in Global Political Economy at Sussex University (2015-2018). I was Visiting Scholar at CUNY Graduate Center - Center for Place, Culture and Politics (2013-2014) and Honorary Research Fellow in Material Culture at UCL, Department of Anthropology (2008-2011) but I was also a Marie Curie visiting staff at the department of History in Ca Foscari University of Venice (2005-06).
I am editor for Anthropology in the journal City and in the Advisory board of Anthropology and Materialism and ANNUAC Revista the journal of the association of cultural anthropologists of Italy . I was co-editing (2007-2014) the Anarchist journal 'Occupied London' and the web-blog 'From the Greek Streets ' which was updating on almost daily basis the events in Greece from a radical political approach between 2008 and 2014. Last but not least, I am Greece's COI in the Right in Exile Programme.
- 2017-2022 VIDI Research Talent Grant for Infra-Demos (Principal Investigator and Director)
- 2017-2020 ERASMUS+ project PEOPLE (Co-Investigator)
- 2017-2018 Deregulation of Labour Market in Greece of crisis (Co-Invetsigator).
- 2012 - 2014:ESRC/Future Research Leaders grant for the project The City at a Time of Crisis: Tranformations of Public Spaces in Athens (crisis-cape.net) (Principal Invetsigator and Grant holder).
- 2005 - 2006: Marie Curie Fellowship in Social History of Europe for the project Social Change, Material Culture and Migration: The Case of Albanian Migration to Greece and to Italy.
- 2004 - 2008: Hellenic Republic Fellowship (IKY ) for the PhD project An Anthropology of the Road. (Principal Investigator and Grant-Holder)
I currently supervise
- Christos Giovanopoulos Emergence of new ifrastructurql networks at Greece of crisis
- Giorgos Serdentakis Food and Cooking under crisis conditions
- Antonis Alexandridis The Poetics and Politics of Irregular Migrant Citizenship and Labour in Greece in a Time of Crisis.
- Georgos Poulimenakos Reproduction beyond hegemony: Class and the meanings of labour in a neighborhood of Piraeus in times of deindustrialization and crisis
- Anna Giulia Delapuppa Mothering the Nation: Nationalism, teaching history and gender in Greece
- Elena Bonanini Refugees Trajectories in Greece
- Tarryn Frankish The ‘born-free generation’: Narrating memory in post-Apartheid South Africa.
- Jesse Jonkman Multi-ethnic Democracy and Land Tenure in Colombia
In the past supervised as first supervisor
- Alexander Dunlap Renewing Destruction: Green Energy and Land-Grabbing in Oaxaca, Mexico (VU, 2017)
- Jacken Alfred Waters (ESRC funded) Production of Urban Spaces and Protest in London (Sussex uni, 2016)
- Chet Fransch "Wood, carved by the knife of circumstance..."?: Cape Rapists and Rape in South Africa, c. 1910-1980 (VU, 2016)
Education / Academic qualification
Social Anthropology, Material Culture, PhD, University of London, UCL
2004 → 2008
Migration and Ethnic Studies, Master, University of Amsterdam
2003 → 2004
Social Anthropology and Social Policy , Bachelor, Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences
1999 → 2003
Research output: Scientific - peer-review › Chapter
Research output: Scientific › Book editing
Research output: Scientific › PhD Thesis - Research VU, graduation VU