Research Output per year
I am Professor at Vrije University Amsterdam since 2015, where I hold the Chair of Social Anthropology and I co-direct the lab on Mobilities, Infrastructures, Sustainability and Commons.
Since 2004 I am developing an anthropology of infrastructures with my project 'An anthropology of the road' and currently with the project infra-demos. Since 2008 I am working on an anthropology of crisis and urban spaces with the project crisis-scapes.
In 2017 I was awarded an Innovative Research VIDI grant from the Dutch Organisation of Scientific Research (NWO) for my project infra-demos. In 2016 I was part of the team of anthropologists from 4 countries who were awarded an ERASMUS+ grant for the project PEOPLE. In 2012 I was awarded an ESRC-Future Research Leaders grant for the project The City at a time of Crisis: Transformations of Public Spaces in Athens (crisis-scape.net).
I have co-researched and have co-produced the documentaries Future Suspended, the Politics of Knives, and Landscapes of Emergency, see also Athens Social Meltdown.
I am editor for Anthropology in the and in the editorial boards of journal City, Anthropology and Materialism and of ANUAC Rivista.
- 2017-2022 VIDI Innovative Research Grant for Infra-Demos (Principal Investigator and Director)
- 2017-2020 ERASMUS+ project PEOPLE (Co-Investigator)
- 2017-2018 PRECARIAT: Deregulation of Labour Market in Greece of crisis (Co-Invetsigator).
- 2012 - 2014:ESRC/Future Research Leaders grant for the project The City at a Time of Crisis: Tranformations of Public Spaces in Athens (crisis-cape.net) (Principal Invetsigator and Grant holder).
- 2005 - 2006: Marie Curie Fellowship in Social History of Europe for the project Social Change, Material Culture and Migration: The Case of Albanian Migration to Greece and to Italy.
- 2004 - 2008: Hellenic Republic Fellowship (IKY ) for the PhD project An Anthropology of the Road. (Principal Investigator and Grant-Holder)
I currently supervise
- Christos Giovanopoulos Emergence of new infrastructural networks in Greece of crisis .
- Herbert PloegmanArt and Gentrification in Athens.
- Giorgos Serdentakis Food, Cooking and community under conditions of crisis.
- Antonis Alexandridis The Poetics and Politics of Irregular Migrant Citizenship and Labour in Greece in a Time of Crisis.
- Georgos Poulimenakos Airbnbization: Housing, Platform Capitalism and Internationalisation of Social Class Disticntions
- Anna Giulia Delapuppa Mothering the Nation: Nationalism, teaching history and gender in Greece
- Elena Bonanini From Lesvos to Brussels: Refugees Trajectories.
- Tarryn Frankish The ‘born-free generation’: Narrating memory in post-Apartheid South Africa.
- Sussane Verhoog Land-grabbing in Postsocialist Era.
In the past supervised as first supervisor
- Alexander Dunlap Renewing Destruction: Wind Energy Development in Oaxaca, Mexico (VU, 2017)
- Jacken Waters (ESRC funded) Producing space and reproducing capital in London's Olympic Park: Qn ethnography of actually-existing abstract space (Sussex Uni, 2016)
- Chet Fransch "Wood, carved by the knife of circumstance..."?: Cape Rapists and Rape in South Africa, c. 1910-1980 (VU, 2016)
No ancillary activities
Ancillary activities are updated daily
Social Anthropology, Material Culture, PhD, University of London, UCL
2004 → 2008
Migration and Ethnic Studies, Master, University of Amsterdam
2003 → 2004
Social Anthropology and Social Policy , Bachelor, Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences
1999 → 2003
- GN Anthropology
- T Technology
- H Social Sciences (General)
- HN Social history and conditions. Social problems. Social reform
- HX Socialism. Communism. Anarchism
- HE Transportation and Communications
- JN Political institutions (Europe)
- G Geography (General)
- GF Human ecology. Anthropogeography
- DR Balkan Peninsula
- DF Greece
- JC Political theory
- DE The Mediterranean Region. The Greco-Roman World
- Urban Studies
Research output: Contribution to Journal › Article › Academic › peer-review
Evicting Amsterdam: Preliminary Report on the eviction of ADM community and their tangible and intangible heritageDalakoglou, D., Feb 2019, Amsterdam. 9 p. (infra-demos report; vol. 2)
Research output: Book / Report › Report › Professional
Research output: Chapter in Book / Report / Conference proceeding › Chapter › Academic › peer-review
Research output: Book / Report › Report › Academic
Research output: Online publication or Non-textual form › Online publication or Website › Popular
Activities per year
Activity: Lecture / Presentation › Academic
Activity: Participating in or organising an event › Workshop › Academic
1 item of media coverage
Press/Media: Public Engagement Activities
1 media contribution
Press/Media: Expert Comment
1 media contribution
Press/Media: Expert Comment