Research Output per year
My research focuses on issues in social epistemology, philosophy of science, and philosophy of religion. Currently, most of it is in collective epistemology: can groups have beliefs and knowledge, are there collective intellectual virtues, what determines the epistemic performance of groups? I also apply these issues in thinking about the epistemic qualities of liberal democracy.
I teach epistemology, philosophy of science, business ethics, and – if I get the opportunity – philosophy of religion. Specifically, I teach an introduction to philosophy of science for students who minor in philosophy (see here) and a second year course on current trends in philosophy (see here).
- Knowledgeable Democracy: A Social-Epistemological Inquriy
NWO Vidi project, 2016–2020
- The Epistemic Responsibility of the University
(with René van Woudenberg and Rik Peels)
Templeton World Charity Foundation, 2016–2019
- Science Beyond Scientism
(with René van Woudenberg, Gijsbert van den Brink, and Gerrit Glas)
Templeton World Charity Foundation, 2012–2015
- Commercializing Science and the Flow of Knowledge
NWO Veni project, 2010–2014
- De Jonge Akademie | Amsterdam | Member | 2017-04-01
Last update Ancillary Activities: Amsterdam (2018-01-23)
- Ph.D. in Philosophy, Delft University of Technology, 2007
- M.A. in Philosophy cum laude, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, 2007
- M.Sc. in Systems Engineering and Policy Analysis cum laude, Delft University of Technology, 2000
Design Hypotheses Behave Like Skeptical Hypotheses (Or: Why We Cannot Know that Design Hypotheses Are False)van Woudenberg, R. & de Ridder, G. J. 2017 In : International Journal for the Study of Skepticism.
Research output: Scientific - peer-review › Article
Research output: Scientific - peer-review › Chapter
Review of Richard N. Williams & Daniel Robinson, Scientism: The New Orthodoxy [Review of: R.N. Williams, D. Robinson (2015) Scientism: The New Orthodoxy]de Ridder, G. J. 2017 In : International Studies in the Philosophy of Science. 30, 1, p. 93-95
Research output: Scientific - peer-review › Book/Film/Article review
Research output: Scientific › Article