Victor A. Gilsing is a Professor of Strategic Entrepreneurship & Innovation at the department of Management and Organisation of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- Corporate Entrepreneurship & Innovation -
- Top Management Teams & Innovation -
- External Collaboration & the Creation of Breakthrough Innovations
- Digital transformation of established firms
His academic research has been published in ISI top journals such as Journal of Management, Journal of Management Studies, Research Policy, Journal of Product Innovation Management, Technovation, R&D Management and others.
He has extensive experience in teaching for both PhD and Master students as well as for (senior) executives, non-executive directors, corporate and independent venture managers, on topics such as corporate entrepreneurship, innovation, innovation strategy and external collaboration.
For the period of 2015 until 2022, he has received a prestigious Odysseus research grant from the Flanders Science Foundation (FWO) for a research program on the role of Top Managers, its Board of Directors and a Firm´s ability to create Innovations and Technological Breakthroughs.
Academy of Management (AOM) Best Paper Award and Nominations
- Best Paper Award 2004 (TIM Division), ‘Local action and innovative performance’, together with G. Duysters and W. Vanhaverbeke
- Best Paper Nomination 2005 (TIM Division), ‘Cognitive distance and absorptive capacity’, together with B. Nooteboom, G. Duysters and W. Vanhaverbeke
- Best Paper Nomination 2006 (BPS Division), ‘The role of strategic technology alliances for strategies of knowledge exploration and exploitation W. Vanhaverbeke and G. Duysters
- Best Paper Nomination 2007 (TIM Division), ‘Explorative and exploitative learning in technology based alliance networks’, together with W. Vanhaverbeke and G. Duysters
- Best Paper Nomination 2008 (TIM Division),‘Network embeddedness and the exploration of novel technologies: technological distance, betweenness centrality and density’, together with B. Nooteboom, W. Vanhaverbeke and G. Duysters
- Best Student Paper Nomination 2011 (TIM Division), ‘The relationship between novelty and impact of radical innovations’, S. Keijl, V. Gilsing, J. Knoben and G.M. Duysters
- Best Paper Nomination 2016 (BPS Division), ´The effect of knowledge decomposability on technological exploration in technological acquisitions, Zhengyu Li, Victor Gilsing & Geert Duysters
- Best Paper Nomination 2017 (BPS Division), ´Efficient redundancy: how socio-cognitive structures impact innovation under complex conditions´, Juan Candiani, Arjen Markus & Victor Gilsing.
- Best Paper Nomination 2022 (TIM Division), R&D Collaboration with common partners and the risk of knowledge leakage to rivals: the role of IP litigation strategy. Sarah Edris, Rene Belderbos & Victor Gilsing
Other Research Awards and Nominations
- Best Paper Nomination European Innovation Award 2009
Creating university spin-offs: a science-based design perspective, A.G. Romme, J.C. van Burg, V. Gilsing and I. Reymen
- Award for Academic Excellence 2013
Unraveling the mechanisms of absorptive capacity and technological performance: a study of inward licensing, Z. Li, V. Gilsing and G. Duysters, 25th Annual Conference of the Society for the Advancement of Socioeconomics
- Best Conference PhD Paper Award 2014
Unraveling the mechanisms of absorptive capacity and technological performance, Z. Li, V. Gilsing and G. Duysters, Int. Association. for Chinese Management Research
- Best Paper Nomination by the Innovation SIG of EURAM 2018
Managing the Coordination-Specialization Dilemma for Innovation: the moderating role of managerial human capital, N. van der Wal, V. Gilsing & C. Boone
- Research Impact Award of Department of Organization Studies, Tilburg University 2012: Persistence of and inter-relation between horizontal and vertical alliances, R. Belderbos, V. Gilsing and B. Lokshin, 2012, Journal of Management
Teaching Awards and Evaluations
- Awarded the Second Price for Best Teacher 2006 in the Pre-Masters for ‘Innovation Management’, Eindhoven University of Technology.
- Awarded the First Teaching Price for Best Teacher 2007 in the Masters for ‘Strategy and Technology Management’, Eindhoven University of Technology.
- Awarded the First Teaching Price for Best Teacher 2007 in the Pre-Masters for ‘Innovation Management’, Eindhoven University of Technology.
- Awarded the First Prize for Best Course in the Masters 2010 - 2011 for ‘Organizing Strategy and Entrepreneurship’, Department of Organization Studies, Tilburg University
- Awarded the First Prize for Best Course in the Masters 2011 - 2012 for ‘Inter-organizational Relations’, Department of Organization Studies, Tilburg University
- Awarded the First Prize for Best Course in the Masters 2012 - 2013 for ‘Inter-organizational Relations’, Department of Organization Studies, Tilburg University
- Research Masters: Evaluations by Research Master students average around 4.4 to 5.0 on a scale from 1 to 5 (Period: 2008 - 2022)
- Dekker Groep | Zevenhuizen | Commissaris | 2019-02-01 - 2027-12-31
Ancillary activities are updated daily