Accidental ingestion of an untethered instrument during implant surgery

L.P. Pull ter Gunne, D. Wismeijer

Research output: Contribution to JournalArticleAcademicpeer-review


During dental treatment, patients can swallow or inhale a foreign object as a result of several patient- and clinician-related factors; however, several methods can be used to prevent this complication. A 65-year-old man was referred to the Oral Implantology Clinic at the University of Amsterdam (ACTA) for a fixed prosthesis in the maxilla. While placing the implants, the screwdriver accidentally slipped from the fingers of the surgeon and was ingested by the patient. Since the difference between swallowing and inhaling cannot be accurately diagnosed, patient follow-up is advisable.
Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)277-278
JournalThe International Journal of Prosthodontics
Issue number3
Publication statusPublished - 2014


Dive into the research topics of 'Accidental ingestion of an untethered instrument during implant surgery'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this