The rich are easily offended by unfairness: Wealth triggers spiteful rejection of unfair offers

Yi Ding, Junhui Wu, Tingting Ji, Xu Chen, Paul A.M. Van Lange

Research output: Contribution to JournalArticleAcademicpeer-review

Abstract

What does it do to people when they are rich or poor? Do they differ in their responses to unfair treatment? For example, are the wealthy more or less likely to accept an unfair offer in an ultimatum game where it is costly to reject an unfair offer? How about when it is not costly to reject an unfair offer? In the present research, we measured self-reported wealth (i.e., family income, Studies 1–3) and manipulated wealth using a “lucky draw” game (Studies 2 and 3) to examine how wealth affects responses to unfairness in an ultimatum game (Studies 1–3) and a new game called the cost-free rejection game (CFRG, Study 3). Across three studies, we found that wealthy people rejected an unfair offer (i.e., being offered 20% while the other kept 80% of the endowment) more frequently than the less wealthy, and that this tendency to reject unfairness was mediated by their increased feelings of entitlement. This suggests that the wealthy, or even people who temporarily perceive themselves to be wealthy, are more easily offended by unfairness than the less wealthy.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)138-144
Number of pages7
JournalJournal of Experimental Social Psychology
Volume71
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1 Jul 2017

Fingerprint

Financial Management
Emotions
Costs and Cost Analysis
Research
family income
costs
Rejection (Psychology)

Keywords

  • Cost
  • Cost-free rejection game
  • Entitlement
  • Ultimatum game
  • Unfairness
  • Wealth

Cite this

@article{5f18e814de234f2c8d1fdf42aab64744,
title = "The rich are easily offended by unfairness: Wealth triggers spiteful rejection of unfair offers",
abstract = "What does it do to people when they are rich or poor? Do they differ in their responses to unfair treatment? For example, are the wealthy more or less likely to accept an unfair offer in an ultimatum game where it is costly to reject an unfair offer? How about when it is not costly to reject an unfair offer? In the present research, we measured self-reported wealth (i.e., family income, Studies 1–3) and manipulated wealth using a “lucky draw” game (Studies 2 and 3) to examine how wealth affects responses to unfairness in an ultimatum game (Studies 1–3) and a new game called the cost-free rejection game (CFRG, Study 3). Across three studies, we found that wealthy people rejected an unfair offer (i.e., being offered 20{\%} while the other kept 80{\%} of the endowment) more frequently than the less wealthy, and that this tendency to reject unfairness was mediated by their increased feelings of entitlement. This suggests that the wealthy, or even people who temporarily perceive themselves to be wealthy, are more easily offended by unfairness than the less wealthy.",
keywords = "Cost, Cost-free rejection game, Entitlement, Ultimatum game, Unfairness, Wealth",
author = "Yi Ding and Junhui Wu and Tingting Ji and Xu Chen and {Van Lange}, {Paul A.M.}",
year = "2017",
month = "7",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1016/j.jesp.2017.03.008",
language = "English",
volume = "71",
pages = "138--144",
journal = "Journal of Experimental Social Psychology",
issn = "0022-1031",
publisher = "Academic Press Inc.",

}

The rich are easily offended by unfairness : Wealth triggers spiteful rejection of unfair offers. / Ding, Yi; Wu, Junhui; Ji, Tingting; Chen, Xu; Van Lange, Paul A.M.

In: Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol. 71, 01.07.2017, p. 138-144.

Research output: Contribution to JournalArticleAcademicpeer-review

TY - JOUR

T1 - The rich are easily offended by unfairness

T2 - Wealth triggers spiteful rejection of unfair offers

AU - Ding, Yi

AU - Wu, Junhui

AU - Ji, Tingting

AU - Chen, Xu

AU - Van Lange, Paul A.M.

PY - 2017/7/1

Y1 - 2017/7/1

N2 - What does it do to people when they are rich or poor? Do they differ in their responses to unfair treatment? For example, are the wealthy more or less likely to accept an unfair offer in an ultimatum game where it is costly to reject an unfair offer? How about when it is not costly to reject an unfair offer? In the present research, we measured self-reported wealth (i.e., family income, Studies 1–3) and manipulated wealth using a “lucky draw” game (Studies 2 and 3) to examine how wealth affects responses to unfairness in an ultimatum game (Studies 1–3) and a new game called the cost-free rejection game (CFRG, Study 3). Across three studies, we found that wealthy people rejected an unfair offer (i.e., being offered 20% while the other kept 80% of the endowment) more frequently than the less wealthy, and that this tendency to reject unfairness was mediated by their increased feelings of entitlement. This suggests that the wealthy, or even people who temporarily perceive themselves to be wealthy, are more easily offended by unfairness than the less wealthy.

AB - What does it do to people when they are rich or poor? Do they differ in their responses to unfair treatment? For example, are the wealthy more or less likely to accept an unfair offer in an ultimatum game where it is costly to reject an unfair offer? How about when it is not costly to reject an unfair offer? In the present research, we measured self-reported wealth (i.e., family income, Studies 1–3) and manipulated wealth using a “lucky draw” game (Studies 2 and 3) to examine how wealth affects responses to unfairness in an ultimatum game (Studies 1–3) and a new game called the cost-free rejection game (CFRG, Study 3). Across three studies, we found that wealthy people rejected an unfair offer (i.e., being offered 20% while the other kept 80% of the endowment) more frequently than the less wealthy, and that this tendency to reject unfairness was mediated by their increased feelings of entitlement. This suggests that the wealthy, or even people who temporarily perceive themselves to be wealthy, are more easily offended by unfairness than the less wealthy.

KW - Cost

KW - Cost-free rejection game

KW - Entitlement

KW - Ultimatum game

KW - Unfairness

KW - Wealth

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85016715794&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85016715794&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.jesp.2017.03.008

DO - 10.1016/j.jesp.2017.03.008

M3 - Article

VL - 71

SP - 138

EP - 144

JO - Journal of Experimental Social Psychology

JF - Journal of Experimental Social Psychology

SN - 0022-1031

ER -